Residence permit

EU/EER nationals 

If you are a EU or EER national* or citizen of Switzerland, you may want to stay in the Netherlands for longer than three months a residence permit, although not compulsory, may come in handy.

Some institutions (tax and customs administration offices, and banks) may require such a permit. You may need one to open a bank account in the Netherlands, for example.

When you register at the Dutch Immigration and Naturalisation Office (IND), you must provide supportive documentation to explain the purpose of your residency. For example, if you have come to the Netherlands to work, you must show an employer's statement. After registering, the IND attaches a declaration of registration sticker to your passport (or other identity papers). This sticker is valid for the entire period you remain in the Netherlands. You must make an appointment to register. To do so, please call 0900-1234561 or from abroad  +31 20 889 30 45.

Please note: You must register first with the Local Government Office in the city where you reside before registering with the IND.

Family members of EU citizens, who are not EU or EEA nationals or citizens of Switzerland, must submit a request for verification against EU Community Law. Citizens of Bulgaria and Romania also need to do this.

 * EU or EER member states are: Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Portugal, Spain, UK, Sweden, Poland, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Slovenia and Slovakia.  

Registration with the IND is free of charge.

For further information about IND registration, please check
The IND (immigration authorities)’s website offers information about relocating to the Netherlands.   

Non-EU and EER nationals

Non-EU nationals need to apply for a residence permit before coming to the Netherlands. In most cases, before applying for a residence permit you will need a temporary entry permit called a Provisional Residence Permit (MVV Machtiging tot Voorlopig Verblijf; please see below). If you are a national of a country not required to submit a MVV, you can enter the Netherlands without one. To apply for a residence permit, you must report to the foreign police (IND) within three working days.

You must also meet the following conditions: 

  • you must have a valid passport 
  • you must have health insurance with coverage in the Netherlands 
  • you must not constitute a risk to public order 
  • you must be prepared to undergo an examination for tuberculosis 
  • you must have sufficient funds.   

Requirements for each purpose of stay 

You have come to stay in the Netherlands for a reason, for instance, to live with your family, work or study here. The reason for your visit is the purpose of your stay. Different requirements apply and different documents are required for every purpose. For instance, if you want to live with your spouse in the Netherlands, you will need to provide a marriage certificate. If you are planning to work for a company in the Netherlands, you will need to provide an employment contract. 

It is very important that you have a sponsor in the Netherlands who will act as your guarantor. A sponsor could be the family member you will be living with or the employer who will guarantee your income. Possibly, you might not have a sponsor. For instance, you could be self-employed and not have a sponsor. In such cases, you will often have additional requirements to meet. You must apply for a temporary entry permit (MVV) and a residence permit. 

Will you need a temporary entry permit (MVV) or not? 

The temporary entry permit (MVV) is a special visa which some nationals need when entering the Netherlands. You need it when applying for a residence permit. 

Not everyone needs an MVV. Here we have listed the nationalities that are exempt from the MVV requirement. This overview is by no means complete. You can find more information on the IND website ( in English. 
The IND (immigration authorities)’s website offers information about relocating to the Netherlands.

Nationals from these countries do not need a MVV: 
Australia, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Austria, Portugal, Spain, South Korea, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, the United States of America, Iceland, Vatican City, Sweden and Switzerland. 

How to apply for an MVV 

First, find out whether you meet the requirements that depend on the purpose of your stay. You can find these requirements listed on the IND site or you can call the IND: 
- from the Netherlands:  0900-1234561 (€ 0.10 per minute) 
- from other countries:  +3120 889 30 45. 

Applying for a MVV: 
The IND assesses your MVV application. The procedure can take some time, generally three months. For this reason, you should not book your journey to the Netherlands until your MVV has been issued. 

Apply for a request for a recommendation to obtain a MVV: 

Prior to your application, your sponsor can submit a request for a recommendation in order to find out from the IND if you are eligible for a MVV. You must submit your MVV application to the Dutch embassy or the Dutch consulate.


« April 2017 »